Thursday, November 06, 2014

The Crack in the Cosmic Egg


“We are limited by our agreements on possibility. Agreement is a common exclusion of alternate possibilities. Agreement is the cement of social structure. Two or three gathered together, agreeing on what they are after, may create a subset in which their goals can be achieved, even though folly in the eyes of the world. The world in this case means a set of expectancies agreed upon, a set excluding other possibilities.”
Joseph Chilton Pearce, The Crack in the Cosmic Egg: New Constructs of Mind and Reality

I read The Crack in the Cosmic Egg over forty years ago when it was first published. I have found since then, that the book seems to mysteriously re-enter my life every few years, seemingly to remind me where parts of my thinking came from. Either I will my tattered original “lost” copy behind some other book on a hopelessly disorganized shelf, or find someone else’s “lost” copy forgotten in a coffee house, or receive a new edition as a gift, or turn up a PDF…click HERE…of the entire book on the internet while searching for something else (which just happened and prompted this post). In any case…check it out if you have not read it. If you don’t, it will eventually “find” you.

A relatively new edition with a new Foreword and Preface may be found HERE.