Monday, July 06, 2015

At Play In The Semiosphere



I will be discussing Patrick Dunn's approach to reality handling and manipulation within the context of Cinemorphic self shifting in future posts. Interesting parallels and implications...

“Think of a huge web stretching across the black emptiness of space. In each nexus of lines rests a symbol connecting to an infinite number of other symbols. It is important to grasp this concept, because symbols are the underlying girders of the universe.

I call this complex of recursive symbols ‘the semiotic web.’ When seeking meaning, the mind says ‘I can place any idea in my semiotic web, which I've built up from all the symbols of our culture, and have it make sense to me.’

I believe the semiotic web is the substance of ultimate reality. More than just an abstraction to explain the way the human mind works, I think it is the abstraction to explain how Mind works. Mind is not separate from reality, nor is reality separate from the semiotic spaces it inhabits.


Manipulating symbol systems manipulates the semiotic web, and therefore manipulates reality.”

Patrick Dunn. Postmodern Magic: The Art of Magic in the Information Age http://www.amazon.com/Postmodern-Magic-The-Art-Information/dp/0738706639